Slow Roast Shoulder Of Lamb
- 1.8kg/4lb lean whole shoulder of lamb
- For the Herb Butter:
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- For the Vegetables:
- 5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the onions and celery in the base of a 2.8L/5pint flame/heatproof dish or roasting tin.
- Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife.
- Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover with foil and transfer to the oven for 3½ hours. Remove the foil, add the butternut squash, return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb and vegetables to a large platter and keep warm. Skim the fat from the dish leaving behind the meat juices.
- Serve the lamb with the vegetables, meat juices and creamy mash.